Alexander Nevsky Monastery (Lavra)

Alexander Nevsky Monastery (Lavra)
Distance from the hotel: 4,5 km / 2.8 miles

Alexander Nevsky Lavra or Alexander Nevsky Monastery was founded by Peter the Great in 1710 at the southern end of the Nevsky Prospekt in St. Petersburg to house the relics of Alexander Nevsky, patron saint of the newly-founded Russian capital. In 1797, it was raised to the rank of lavra, previously bestowed only upon Kiev Monastery of the Caves and the Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius.

The monastery premises contain two baroque churches, designed by father and son Trezzini and built in 171722 and 174250, respectively; a majestic neoclassical cathedral built in 177890 to a design by Ivan Starov and consecrated to the Holy Trinity; and numerous structures of lesser importance. It also contains the Lazarev and Tikhvin Cemeteries, where ornate tombs of Leonhard Euler, Mikhail Lomonosov, Alexander Suvorov, Nikolay Karamzin, Modest Mussorgsky, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and other famous Russians are preserved.

Homepage   |   The Hotel   |   Rooms & Rates   |   Photo gallery  |   Reservation   |   Hotel services   |   Contacts   |   News   |   Payment   |   Special offers   |   Visa support   |   Guestbook   |   F.A.Q.   |   Partners   |   Cooperation   |   Car hire

2003-2021 "". All rights reserved. User's agreement